Inspired by classic RPG titles in the 90s, Old North is a computer-based RPG game with a retro feel. There are six playable characters inside the game, each with multiple ending scenarios. The team promises 20 hours of gameplay for each character.
Ekuator Games is putting a lot of emphasis on its game story development, as the characters will go through three decades of adventure. Ekuator representative Cipto Adiguno tells more about the team’s philosophy:
Ekuator focuses on storytelling, and for us the game boasts more mature storyline with freedom of choice and the consequences which come with it. So many RPGs (especially J-RPGs) have the same story: chosen one destined to save the world. We deviate from that same old cliché and craft a deeper narrative.
Some of the game's features are:
- Six playable characters with differing play experiences. Each character has deep personality, combat style, equipments, private stories, cut scenes, special arts, and decisions to be made in the game.
- Multiple conclusions for each character, totalling more than fifteen possible variations, affected by your own choices throughout the game.
- Over 20 hours of gameplay time per character.
- Well-written fantasy setting and lores raising real-world issues which will connect deeper with your own life stories.
- Compelling storyline spanning three decades, following the characters' journey of life while they grow and mature from their experiences.
- Dynamic encounters which turns combat encounters into a form of entertainment itself. Hide from enemies, learn the nature of their movements, avoid them or just bash them all -- it depends on how you want to play the game.
- Tactically revamped classic combat with turn-based resource-management system. Combat puts emphasis on strategy and team customization, enough to keep you up but not too much that it turns boring and distracts the focus on narrative.
- Rewarding explorations, optional side quests and light mini-games make their return to restore the nostalgic feelings of an old school RPG.
- Wonderful music to enhance your play experience and mood in the game world.
- Various accompaniments to further immerse you in the world's lores, in the form of a graphic novel and an artbook. Celestian Tales encompasses a vast original setting, and stories from all over the continents are abound!
Some of the game's screenshots: